Selected Pics

www.flickr.com
Rachel.Drummond's items tagged with badge More of Rachel Drummond's Photography at Flickr
Reload this web page for another set of photographs.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Counting the Days

 
I'm not sure which happened first, Photo Friday's topic "Baby" or the idea of combining an abacus with some of the paperwork associated with our adoption of Li Mei. I've not a lot of experience with still life, though I feel like I'm finally gaining an intuition about composition. This was a hard picture to take -- three, four sessions, arranging and re-arranging, experimenting and so forth.

Generally, I take a picture when something catches my magpie-eyes and I think, "Now that's neat." This time, I did feel the need to communicate, not unlike when I write fiction or poetry. It is artificial, it is a creation, a reflection of a mind's eye emotion, a concrete representation of an amorphous ache. That sounds a bit melodramatic and sentimental which ordinarily I try to avoid -- but as long as I'm not avoiding it, I might as well share and hope it was a successful effort.

Adoption and pregnancy have a lot in common. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your efforts have been rewarded with an excellent image. I also appreciate the way the back story informs your work.

Josh Gentry said...

I like things that are pretty for the sake of being pretty, but this image also has emotional content, which I think is an evolution of your work.

Hypatia said...

Thanks Ken, thanks Josh. I'm not sure why I put off answering your comments until now. I suppose I felt a bit self conscious. I'm glad this one worked.