Selected Pics

www.flickr.com
Rachel.Drummond's items tagged with badge More of Rachel Drummond's Photography at Flickr
Reload this web page for another set of photographs.

Monday, August 29, 2005


This photo won an Honorable Mention in the Butterfly Pavilion 2005 Photo Contest. It's a wild butterfly from Mueller State Park. I couldn't find a match I was entirely happy with, but the Greenish Blue (Plebeius saepiolus) was similar.

I think this was the Pavilion's first photo contest because there were some interesting submission choices I made based on their rules. First, they only allowed two submissions. Aaagh! I took hundreds of photos and about 60 made my personal 'semi-final' folder. I made the suggestion that they allow more submissions but make them self- limiting by asking for a nominal couple dollar donation per photo. Second, they had three catagories: lifecycle, behavior, and interactions with people. Since I could only submit two, I avoided choosing my two best, rather I chose my two best that fell in different catagories. I didn't want my submissions to compete with each other. Lastly, I knew they were looking for something to put in a calendar, but I didn't know exactly what the judge's personal sensibilities were. I had some interesting photos of clearwings, but I thought they might be disqualified if the judge didn't know they were moths. I knew there were going to be tons of in-the-pavilion photos but I thought I might have an edge if I submitted a 'wild' shot. And lastly, I chose my second photo based on the fact that there were no other photos of this stage in the lifecycle. More on that later.

So, I had a lot of second guessing and strategizing for this little contest, but I think it was a very useful excercise. Posted by Picasa

No comments: