Selected Pics

www.flickr.com
Rachel.Drummond's items tagged with badge More of Rachel Drummond's Photography at Flickr
Reload this web page for another set of photographs.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Mystery Butterfly

 

I generally try to ID these myself using http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/ but I wasn't able to find my species this time.

The closest visual local I could find was Magdalena Alpine (Erebia magdalena) but it didn't seem quite right -- maybe the picture was just vague. If I hadn't seen the range of the Dingy Purplewing (Eunica monima)
was far south of us, I would have guessed that. The British Ringlet seemed close too, but that's an even longer flight. :)

Behavior-wise, it seemed to fit the brushfoot/satyr family as it rests on four legs instead of all six. It rested with wings closed while resting on pine tree bark and tried to orient its wing edges toward me to present the smallest viewing area. The eyes were darker than most, I couldn't see details of pupils. It was very active, maybe due to the heat. This was taken in the early afternoon in the Eagles Nest Wilderness near Dillon, Colorado. Posted by Picasa

No comments: