Selected Pics

www.flickr.com
Rachel.Drummond's items tagged with badge More of Rachel Drummond's Photography at Flickr
Reload this web page for another set of photographs.

Monday, June 20, 2005

Butterfly Pavillion

Given our love of bugs, it won't be too surprising that we're members of the Butterfly Pavillion in Westminster, Colorado. This place is great and expanding all the time. There aren't very many insect zoos in the country, this was "the first stand alone, non-profit insect zoo in the country."

Despite the name, we actually spend most of our time with the spiders, preying mantises, stick insects and bees. My youngest used to be afraid of butterflies, so we became used to spending our time holding the Chilean Rosy-Haired Tarantula. We even ended up adopting a spiderling who is still pretty tiny for a tarantula. The only downside of the non-butterflies, is that most are behind glass. I need a polarizing filter!

Today, I made them hang out in the greenhouse that's home to hundreds of butterflies. Photocontest. Given the rules of the contest, I'm going to hold on to my butterfly pictures until I've made my submission choices. Then I'll bring up the others. For now, here's some of the other creatures.

No comments: