Selected Pics

www.flickr.com
Rachel.Drummond's items tagged with badge More of Rachel Drummond's Photography at Flickr
Reload this web page for another set of photographs.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005


Every year we buy mantis eggs and string them to our trees. In a few weeks, we have hundreds of the cutest little predators you've ever seen.

The younger the mantis, the more jumpy they seem to be. This one finally held still enough for a few shots. Either I convinced it I wasn't going to eat it or it thought it was hidden in the blades of grass framing it in the photo. Posted by Hello

4 comments:

Kousik said...

Praying Mantis are really fascinating. In Bangalore I generally get to see the bright green ones.

Hypatia said...

I've only seen bright green adults, but some malaysian orchids have companion mantises that have the same coloration as the flowers... oh to see one of those up close!

Anonymous said...

So you are telling me that you can buy the eggs?
I been trying for a long time to get a photograph of a praying mantis, I love them!

Hypatia said...

Oh yes, we buy the egg cases each year. We generally find them in home and garden stores in the same area that you buy ladybugs. If you can't find them locally, I bet you can find them online.

While I was looking up the orchid mantises, I kept coming across ads to buy them. Personally, I like to buy mantises that are intended to be released and thrive in the wild. Every year I come across an adult or two that are two to three inches (5-7.5 cm) long. The newly hatched are about 1/2 inch long (1.3 cm).