Selected Pics

www.flickr.com
Rachel.Drummond's items tagged with badge More of Rachel Drummond's Photography at Flickr
Reload this web page for another set of photographs.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005


I was thinking about how limitations can strengthen a piece of work. This was taken using a magnifying glass seperate from the camera -- I didn't have a macro lens then. I was very frustrated that I could only get so close using the macro function on my FujiFilm S5000.

So I started using different magnifying glasses. My boys and I spend a lot of time collecting bugs, spiders, pretty rocks, etc. I filched a couple of their little plastic magnifying lenses and used them when I found this black widow. While we relocated her from our backyard to a nearby open space, I took a few pictures.

I really like the prism effect and how the colors come together right at the spider. Anyway, maybe it's not necessarily bad to be a little primative.

Posted by Hello

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a worthwhile visit of 20 minutes of my 1/2 hour lunch. Love the macro aspect of viewing these creatures usually only seen from my giant 5'4" perspective. Especially enjoyed the water droplets. Thanks for the show. I'll check back every so often for updates. Nice catching up with you again last night, Rachel. lb

Hypatia said...

Thanks!

I like that, 'giant 5'4" perspective'! I was just thinking today that most of my subjects are about 1cm.

Hope to talk again soon!