Selected Pics

www.flickr.com
Rachel.Drummond's items tagged with badge More of Rachel Drummond's Photography at Flickr
Reload this web page for another set of photographs.

Saturday, July 30, 2005

Back from the Camping!


We had a great mini-camping trip. The boys were well-behaved, ensuring that I'll take them out again. We didn't have nearly enough time for lots of pictures, but enough time to realize that the task wasn't as daunting as I first thought. We camped in Mueller State Park, near Florissant Fossil National Park, which is about 8400 ft (2560 m) above sea level. One of the nice things about the mountains, besides escaping the heat, is that wildflowers that are fading at lower elevations are just coming into full bloom up here.

This little purple flower is, I think, a sun-loving aster. As for the visitor, I think a fly mated with a tribble. They call it a bee fly, which is the family Bombyliidae of Diptera. Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

great macro

Hypatia said...

Thanks Julio!

San Nakji said...

Wow, this one may be the best yet! No computer effects on this one?

Hypatia said...

Thanks sannakji! Nope, nothing (well, I put my name on it :). Focal Length 22mm, 1/170s, f/3.6, ISO 200 with the Raynox M250, at 6:40pm partly-cloudy with the sun dropping below the mountain range.

Gabe W. Beasley said...

I really like this fly--we got alot of
flies out here, many which I have not
photographed. I have never seen anything like this.