Selected Pics

www.flickr.com
Rachel.Drummond's items tagged with badge More of Rachel Drummond's Photography at Flickr
Reload this web page for another set of photographs.

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Through the Wing


This little moth got my attention, but at first I wasn't sure what it was. It had funny thick antennae, a tail shaped like a lobster's, and wings that almost looked like a bee or fly -- until I got up close and saw the wings were shaped like a butterfly's.

I think this is in the family Sesiidae, but I have yet to match a picture on the web; I've only found similar characteristics.

It amazed me just how clear a clearwing's wings were which is why I think this photo was my favorite aesthetically. If anyone is interested, I have a few more pictures that captured the whole anatomy. Unfortunately, they looked like mugshots to me. Since some in this family of moths are woodboring pests, maybe there's more to the mugshot that just an opinion.  Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

San Nakji said...

I love your photos!

Hypatia said...

Thanks sannakji! Love your blog. You're really funny. :)

San Nakji said...

I try to be something for everyone...

Hypatia said...

Any particular something? ;)