Selected Pics

www.flickr.com
Rachel.Drummond's items tagged with badge More of Rachel Drummond's Photography at Flickr
Reload this web page for another set of photographs.

Thursday, July 07, 2005


I saw this little fella while in City Park in Denver. I probably looked like an idiot following around a little skipper, waiting for it to settle enough to get a shot. I think this is a Common Checkered Skipper (Pyrgus communis), but there are similar related skippers which can only be differentiated by dissection.

Common Checkered Skipper Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Kousik said...

Skippers are HARD. Nice shot and identification.

Hypatia said...

Thanks! I found that the only approach was to come up directly behind. When I came up from either side (even slightly) he was off and flying again. The funniest thing, looking back, was probably my attempts to project an aire of nonchalance toward a skipper. :)

That USGS (United States Geological Survey) site is great! Pictures and authoritative. Love it!

I have a few other wild butterflies, skippers and moths that I haven't had as much luck id'ing.

Anonymous said...

I like the way you took the shot and thanks for the info on how to aproach this fellas, I was trying to get a shot but I was unable because the fly away before I get close to take the shot.

Gabe W. Beasley said...

GREAT shot Rachel. Like that other
guy said, those are really hard to
shoot--you really got techneque down
too. SWEET!