Selected Pics
Rachel.Drummond's items tagged with badge More of Rachel Drummond's Photography at Flickr
Reload this web page for another set of photographs.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

I saw this little fella while in City Park in Denver. I probably looked like an idiot following around a little skipper, waiting for it to settle enough to get a shot. I think this is a Common Checkered Skipper (Pyrgus communis), but there are similar related skippers which can only be differentiated by dissection.

Common Checkered Skipper Posted by Picasa



Skippers are HARD. Nice shot and identification.

Hypatia said...

Thanks! I found that the only approach was to come up directly behind. When I came up from either side (even slightly) he was off and flying again. The funniest thing, looking back, was probably my attempts to project an aire of nonchalance toward a skipper. :)

That USGS (United States Geological Survey) site is great! Pictures and authoritative. Love it!

I have a few other wild butterflies, skippers and moths that I haven't had as much luck id'ing.

regzgz said...

I like the way you took the shot and thanks for the info on how to aproach this fellas, I was trying to get a shot but I was unable because the fly away before I get close to take the shot.

Gabe Beasley said...

GREAT shot Rachel. Like that other
guy said, those are really hard to
shoot--you really got techneque down
too. SWEET!