Selected Pics

www.flickr.com
Rachel.Drummond's items tagged with badge More of Rachel Drummond's Photography at Flickr
Reload this web page for another set of photographs.

Friday, July 01, 2005

Pretty Orb Weaver


In Roxborough, I found this orb weaver, but couldn't get a good picture due to children's tantrums. I dragged them back a few days later. They were in a better mood and I got some pictures. The seeds in the backgound look like an ordinary dandelion, but it's really a large wild version whose full blossom is about the size of a baseball. Posted by Picasa

PS If I didn't post it before, but here's the species identification from Paula Cushing at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science: Aculepeira packardi (Thorell, 1875)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting spider, so you actually travel looking for your subjects?
I need to do it more often, I only travel to my back yard :)

Hypatia said...

I don't really travel often enough, and when I say travel it's generally to an open space or close park. This particular state park is about 15 minutes from our house (by car).

I also have an ulterior motive. My boys (5 and 4) are out of school and go nuts around the house. So I've been taking them out to state parks, zoos, natural history museum, local parks, etc. We're members of most of the local locations so it keeps us from going broke, being bored and/or killing each other!

Anonymous said...

You have an amazing collction of insects! Great work !

Anonymous said...

I can relate to that, I have 2 boys myself (6 and 7!) nad they also go nuts!
Now they help me finding insects on the back yard, they know now the rule of look and don't disturbe the insects.

Kousik said...

Beautiful patterns on the spider! I guess we don't have his cousins here in India ...

Hypatia said...

To regzgz: The crazies in boys is the biggest enemy of all caregivers. My main parenting strategy is keep 'em busy! I don't know about yours, but mine use the proximity in their ages in order to plot trouble more effectively.

To Kousik: I thought so too, I couldn't believe how lucky I was that she was still in the same location when I came back. See the latest post for more info on this one.

Hypatia said...

Sidney: Thanks! Sorry I missed your comment the first time through. It sure made my day today, though!